Spanish Croquetas (Croquettes) - Perfect for Parties!
EASY HOMEMADE CROQUETTES
Croquettes are a Spanish speciality - extremely popular in Spain and enjoyed by locals and visitors alike. They can be made with a variety of ingredients. The most popular are those with stew, ham, chicken, cheese or mushrooms. Croquettes are a traditional dish often served at family meals. They taste delicious both hot and cold and even better the next day. In Spain almost everyone has eaten cold croquettes after a party - simply delicious!
A Speciality from Cádiz
The recipe we present here is typical to the region of Cádiz. The recipe consists of two parts - a meat stew called Puchero and the croquettes themselves which are made using the stewed meat as an ingredient. Puchero is a traditional dish in its own right and can be served both at lunch and dinner.
The base for most croquettes is a bechamel sauce. In this recipe, we make the bechamel sauce a little differently so that it is easier to make even for inexperienced cooks and free from lumps.
We hope you like them!
INGREDIENTS for PUCHERO GADITANO:
- 220 g chickpeas (soak overnight)
- 2 chicken thighs
- 1/4 beef shank
- 100 g bacon
- 1 fresh beef bone
- 1 salted pork bone
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1/2 leek
- 2 carrots
- 1 turnip
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 litres water
**Soak the chickpeas in plenty of water the night before**
- In a large pot or pressure cooker add all the ingredients at the same time along with water and salt. Add enough water to cover all the ingredients.
- Cook over high heat until foam appears. Skim it off.
- Once the broth is foamy, cover and cook.
- In a pressure cooker it will be ready in about 30 to 45 minutes. In a normal pot on medium heat, it will be ready in about 2 hours.
- Once the stew is cooked, check for salt and add more if necessary.
INGREDIENTS for CROQUETTES:
- Stewed meat (chicken thighs or beef shank) from the recipe above
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 heaped tablespoons flour
- A pinch of salt
- Whole milk (as much as you need - approx. 500 ml)
- Nutmeg (optional)
- Egg, beaten
- Bread crumbs
- Olive oil to fry
- Take the milk out of the refrigerator and let it come up to room temperature
- Shred the meat from the stew. Melt the butter in a pan and add the shredded meat. Saute for a couple of minutes. Add the flour and stir it in. Cook for a further 10 minutes. Add the milk little by little and keep stirring to make a smooth dough. Season with nutmeg and salt. The dough should not be too dense or too soft.
- When done, transfer the contents of the pan to a plate or wide bowl and cover with cling film. Let cool (preferably overnight in the refrigerator).
- Shape the croquettes. Coat first in the beaten egg and then breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil.
Note: The breaded croquettes (before frying) can be frozen for future use. Take out of the freezer and fry when needed.
This article including the recipe was submitted by Sara, a member of the Piccantino team from Spain.
- Smoked over oak wood
- Limited Edition
- Made with arbequina olives
500 ml€ 18,195.0 (13)
- Mild and tasty
- Very aromatic
- Rich in minerals
110 g€ 29,89(€ 271,73 / kg)5.0 (1)
- Nutty taste
- Can be used in lots of delicious ways
- Very popular with kids
500 g€ 3,19(€ 6,38 / kg)
- Universal flour
- Made from Austrian grains
- A completely natural product
1 kg€ 2,59(€ 2,59 / kg)5.0 (3)
Discover Piccantino International :
Free delivery in Austria
from € 49,90
More than 9.100 products